I can not even begin to tell you how many times I have been asked for “Every Other Day” visits for a cats. I am frequently told that they just need some food put out and their box scooped every “once in a while’.
Now before you stop reading, I am not going to preach. I am not going to tell you that you are horrible and I am not going to give you any “dangerously counterproductive” information.
I only want to tell you why Critter Capers Pet Sitting won’t honor these type of requests. As an owner of cats and someone who has treated and cared for several HUNDRED cats (yes, that is true) I know that issues with cats can happen very quickly and cats CAN destroy things too.
1. Cats can get stuck in bedrooms, cabinets, closets, basements, or other locations that don’t have litter boxes – you could come home to 2 days worth of urine and stool on your bed, clothes or carpet!
2. Cats can and do knock over water bowls – it could be two days before they have anything to drink.
3. Cats that get along great can and do get into fights – you could come home to a cat with a broken bone, dislocated joint or bleeding from a laceration.
4. Cats tend to wait until it is almost too late to warn us that they are sick – 2 days can be the difference between life and death.
5. Besides checking on your cat, we are also, whether you ask for it or not checking on the condition of your home. Pipes burst, AC/Heat goes out, power goes out, packages get delivered and break-ins occur – do you really want it to be 2 days with that running water in your upstairs bathroom.
I know we tend to think of cats as antisocial and that they don’t need to have people around all that much, but that could not be further from the truth. The cat that does not come out that much for company or does not let anyone touch them is not antisocial – they like you don’t they? They just need time. Time to warm up to a new face and they WILL benefit from Daily Visits – so will YOU!